This has been edited and honed down to just COMMUNICATIONS – MARKETING has been segmented out to AIP 36
We need to govern the administrative and moderating abilities of those who hold power in the form of a discord host / manager / governing group. Right now it seems to be falling on Don (personally I think he should be doing bigger and better things and this responsibility should not fall on him alone.) This governing role should work to ASSIST Don and other project managers and coordinators while representing members of the community It will serve to amplify our internal communications and allow for more members to contribute with a more variety of skillsets.
@VladislavW provided me a great definition for the Discord Host:
“[A] role that allows for direct communications to the community, working with the community, and striving to build out our communications out as a whole. E.g. newbie onboarding, readily available info, and quality posts that develop discussions in the community where we lack critical engagement” I would like to add, as mentioned above, the role should work with and add value to project managers and coordinators.
PROBLEMS TO SOLVE
- Miscommunication issues.
- Valuable key information lost in low bandwith communication. Such as the Metamask fee change, AIPs / Bounties / Work being overlooked, lack of education to new/unexperienced members on our own AirSwap Discord server and other features/bots/tools that we have at our disposal.
- More value and added bandwidth in communication. Less road blocks, no muting and more collaboration as decided by the community.
- Newbie friendly on-boarding. High level dev information translated to lower level accessibility.
- A neutral body to listen to the community and help consolidate information and answer to the community. Some examples of this would be AMAs on specific projects, encouraging voice conversations, information compendiums, marketing compendiums.
(some for Discord host(s), some for additional bounties)
- ** 2 Read-Only channels hosting links and important AirSwap information/guides** - 1 public, 1 for members only. Link examples - Link to Fee Pool, Dune Analytics, AIP discussions, Bounty applications, Bounty logs, Slope/Max drive spreadsheet, AirSwap marketing compendium (seperate marketing bounty, see: AIP 36), docs for makers/takers and anything else that may come up that gets lost in the sea of Discord channels.
- Discord Bots - Some have already created some such as @greypixel and @sephrok - There are also already-made bots we can utilize in the server such as a POLL bot which ill explain more in footnote section.*
- Discord Host could create new channels to create more bandwidth as AirSwap discord server evolves… opening up more opportunities for communication, valuable information to be collected and for more members to collaborate and work on projects.
- Internal core meetings could be held inside the members portion of our Discord server in a stage voice channel so any member may jump in and have a listen to educate themselves on what’s going on. These would be listen only situations. A “voice-side-chatter” channel should be next to any voice channels for members who are listening in to add comments/questions/consolidate information and take notes. The voice meeting(s) could also be recorded and posted in a members only channel listing previous conversations so anyone may listen back on these at their own leisure.
- Discord Host should encourage casual meetups in the voice channels and help educate the community on the Discord / AirSwap discord server to help encourage more collaboration and communication as well as find more value in everyone’s various communication styles. Some of these can be scheduled in advance with previously agreed upon topics to discuss. Perhaps a Voice Meeting schedule? Whoever is leading the topics could chose the time convenient to their timezone. (Personally if I were in this position of Discord Host i’d personally try to host at least 1 casual voice meetup per week.)
- Access to using @members and @coordinators to alert specific roles of community defined activity. I.e. the community could chose to be alerted every time there is a voice meeting planned in advance. Users can set their own notification settings so there is no worry of bothering users who don’t want to be bothered with this.
- "Zoom Meetings" can be moved to Discord for internal meetings. The Voice Channels can be used to function the same as ZOOM except more members can easily access it and visualize when a meeting is actually happening.
Many of these tasks would take constant updating, tweaking and action based on community involvement for the Discord Host to keep up on.
The Discord Host may not act upon any of these things without involvement from the community.
I believe @CryptoHamilton is already handling this communication channel?
This AIP can evolve beyond simply Discord or Twitter or whatever other methods we deem to fall under communication – though that would eventually fall into the MARKETING AIP. That would be up for more collaboration from members and the community to define this ^^
This AIP is meant to be more about INTERNAL communication but could branch to some EXTERNAL as well. Some ways we could see this evolving – More public development meetings hosted on YouTube or Twitch (once we have more front-end product(s)) as brought to my attention by @aaaaaaaaaa – Apparently Ethereum developers do this already. This would be more PUBLIC communications to draw investors, or consumers or makers, or whatever demographic we are targeting.
There are a few minor expenses for some of the bells and whistles that would go along with this proposal (i.e. MEE6 bot or python server hosting bots) – i’m willing to eat some of the minor fee(s) if there are any from the reward from this AIP.
@sephrok compiled Discord bots which need to run on a python server (currently off my computer) which we could implement into the AirSwap Discord server to watch the price of Gas, AST, ETH or any values we can pull from data sources. Ideas of values to have on display in the Discord server at all times ---- 24h fee volume? Last AirSwap fee processed? Current Fee Pool total value? How many MAKER servers are currently online <— if this number goes DOWN an alert should be made for us to act upon to check integrity of our maker servers.
The MEE6 bot is a great investment for Discord to track memberships and keep things secure. A lifetime plan is like $89. I’m fluid with the bot and could make the onboarding into Discord a better experience for users providing them more information and more interactive experience coming into the server. There is much more functionality the MEE6 bot adds as well which we could experiment over time as needed.
A basic POLL bot can be activated and used in the server as a way to CASUALLY poll that can be used as a basic resource resulting in valuable information to be added to AIP productions.
Discord STAGES can be used to host important team meetings. Anyone can colaborate and use the stage channel to allow other community members to jump in and listen. A “side-voice-chatter” channel can be used to consolidate info from the voice channel and recordings can be posted in a members only section for anyone to listen to at their leisure and provide their own commentary on.